View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
soucorp
soucorp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkb28791 View Post
How can I tell if my motor is a single or double row. I have a 2000 model base.

Thanks

1. If the engine was built in 1998, it will by definition have a double-row bearing (again, a Y preceding the last 5 sequential digits in the engine serial number) as the single-row bearing was not introduced until the year 2000.
2. If the engine was built in claendar year 1999, it will also have a double-row bearing (denoted by a Z preceding the final 5 sequential digits). This will include 2000 MY cars assembled early in calendar year 2000, until the dual-row bearings ran out. It may also include cars assembled for release as early North American MY 2001's (just as my engine, although built in 1998, was installed in a 2000 model year car that was assembled in August 1999.)
3. If the engine was manufactured in calendar year 2000 after the introduction of the single-row bearing (and presumably, after they had run out of all remaining dual-row IMS bearings), it will have a single row IMS bearing. This would include late 2000 MY's, as well as the remaining early to mid 2001 MY's. The serial number for engines built in 2000 (which interestingly, is also when Porsche changed from letters to numbers to signify the year), have the number 0 prior to the final 5 sequential numbers in the engine serial number.

see this thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/46267-single-row-vs-double-row-bearings.html
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote