View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Timco
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
I'm due (well, overdue) for a new set of tires all the way around. I don't want to start a tire brand discussion, but am curious if what I have experienced is normal. Guessing it is, but here goes:

On a couple of occasions, in rather warm summer temps and on perfectly dry roads my Box S has broken traction in the rear with the corresponding cut-in of the PSM. The first time was coming out of a roundabout in second gear at low speed, I stomped on the throttle a bit, broke traction for just a second, and the PSM let me know it was looking out for me. The second time was a sharp right-hand turn, probably no faster then 30MPH/50KMH, steady light throttle, same short break in traction. (The wife asked, "what was that?" Answer: "worn out tires." Followed by rolling of eyes and pain in wallet.)

These are N-rated rummer tires, five years old according to the date stamp on the sidewall, rears are just at the wear bars on the inside. Please no lectures, they're getting replaced ASAP, but in 30C/90F weather on dry roads with moderate throttle it seems odd that I would experience what I did. Or maybe not? Alignment?
The S can easily outperform its tires in turns. It only has so much weight. New tires break loose when too fast into turns from takeoff. Drive slower in town is the answer.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote