View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
steved0x

First DE weekend is complete and I am safely back home.

The good: it was a lot of fun. I had several good runs; each better than the one I had before.

My instructor was Roger Janson, he had (I believe) a 2005 Speed Yellow Boxster S which was very sweet. He was great to work with and I am going to request him (at his invitation) the next time I go back.

The bad (maybe not too bad)

On my 3rd run on the first day I was going really well, coming out of turn 9 onto the long straight at Roebling at maybe 80 and then accelerating through 100 with WOT the power dropped out for a second or two, the CEL blinked a few times, and I dropped a *huge* plume of smoke out the back lasting for a few seconds. Power came right back and the CEL went off, but I went ahead and came into the pits early after turn 4 as a precaution. Luckily nobody was immediately behind me, but during my limp to turn 4 to pit I probably aggravated the folks behind me (sorry folks!).

I have a new thread on troubleshooting/sorting that out here:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/48301-troubleshooting-sorting-possible-aos-issue-maybe-something-else.html

For this thread I wanted just to say:

After the first run I was terrified. I was easily the slowest car on the track but I felt like I was going way to fast...

During the second run I actually felt some lateral G-Forces and realized how slow I had been going the first time

The third time I think I actually hit one or two of the corners correctly and took the right line

I had a great time, I will definitely be back, and there is definitely a lot to learn at these types of events.

Thanks to everybody for the advice on getting ready for this event.

Thanks,

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote