View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #789
BrokenLinkage

a different kind of drive

Sometimes life takes you full circle. It seems my car spends a lot of time getting cleaned up, worked on, made faster or prettier, or generally impressing people that really don't matter. While making me poorer.
I am not a frustrated racer. I will never win a concours. I am not a social climber.
I like driving. I like sun, and wind. I like machinery that works. I like control over my immediate situation. I like pretty lines, whether in a girl or a car. I like good company.

Today:
My 6 yr old always claims dibs when there is a vacancy in the shotgun seat of my red car, but several days ago my 4 yr old put her foot down and insisted the next ride was hers, regardless of where she and I were going. Today’s shopping errand to 2 of the outlying suburbs provided the excuse, and off we went, her first ride in over a year. Her grin unfolded to a radiant smile as we put the top down, and stayed put until we accelerated onto the expressway, when it gave way to 20 minutes of solid giggles and laughter as she felt her long hair dance with the wind, then fought to keep the skirt of her church dress from flying all over the place, then gave up on both to concentrate on surfing her palm in the warm air currents just beyond the roofline and window sill. A hard corner and her eyes get bigger, but the perma-grin remains. Coming home she grabs my hand from the shifter, giggles, pulls it over to kiss it, then doesn’t let go.

Memorable quotes from our conversations today: “Daddy, I want to go fast, but not too fast because I don’t want the policeman to take us to jail.” “When I grow up, I want to get a house that comes with a car just like this.” “I wish everybody had a car like this one ( I think she means the roof).” “I’m gonna be a real good driver when I get big and become a gymnastics teacher, you know.” Even a “our car is kinda cool,” when we saw it glinting in the streetlight as we came out of a store.
Others: “My favorite part of the ketchup is the bacon on the bottom.” After feeling an isolated rain drop -“Daddy, do you want to hear my RainRainGoAway song?“ And ”I want to do this again.”

Me too.
I started off driving conservatively out of regard for her safety. I wound up unconsciously driving slower than usual because I was in no hurry for it to end. It’s nice to be reminded of why I bought this car. Maintenance, schmaintenance. This thing rocks. So does my baby girl.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote