Thread: Should I ????
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 08:30 AM   #11
Perfectlap

True on paper it doesn't sound like a whole lot but you are losing some of that power at the wheels. So its not so much how much more you have as much as how much you will be losing.
And I'm of the opinion that with sports cars in general,
at the wheels a car of this weight should have at least 200 HP. Its hard to describe but the car seems to come "alive" at this power to weight ratio over a nicely driven lap.
I think the S at 250-258 HP covers that. Its a significant enough difference that my local PCA classes the Boxster S with the 996 911's and places the 2.7 one class below with the older 993 911.

Either way the 2.7 or 3.2 have more than enough power when you actually turn the steering wheel. If merging onto highways and passing cars is important to you the extra 30-50 HP (depending on year of the standard Boxster vs. S) is well worth the extra price. Not to mention better brakes which can save your life one day, and other factory upgrades which are too darn expensive in the Porsche aftermarket world. You'll definitely spend more doing it yourself than buying it on the Porsche to begin with.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-31-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote