View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
mikesz

Garage
been there done that. I bought my 99 in Feb '13. I am driving around and yes got the electric smell and my HVAC fan stop working so I take a look at the fuses and the one for the fan is melted, yeah the plastic piece on the fuse is melted. I have never seen that before so I replace the fuse. About a month later I am driving and all of a sudden the car just dies with no warning. Get towed to the dealer and they tell me the fuse for the fuel pump is melted and that there is damage to the fuse block. So they replace the fuse holder for that row in the fuse block. they check to make sure the fuel pump is working properly and it is. I get the car back and its running great. Go for a ride with the wife about a month later, I live in RI and its a very hot July day. On the way home my water temp light is flashing fortunately I am able to limp home. I check fuses for radiator fans right side is melted and left side is blown. Using a jumper wire and removing the relay's for the radiator fans I determine the right fan is not working at all and the left works only on high speed. When I replace the right fan I realize it was binding. I figure the left ballast resistor is gone but choose to replace the left fan too.

Might give you some ideas on where to start. Good Luck!