View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
SD987

I had the pleasure of test driving a Cayman S with PASM at Pioneer Centres in SD this w/e.

I have a 987 base and have test-driven the 987 S and I'd have to say that the Cayman was a significantly better performer, using my highly calibrated butt-dyno.

First off, the sales guy (who I purchased my 987 from, and was thus more "lenient" on the test drive) drove. I could tell the guy had driven a few Porsches in his time and he was pushing the car...HARD. Acceleration-wise, the 987 isn't going to snap your neck, the speed kind of sneaks up on you. The 987 S will get your spine moving a little laterally, but the Cayman literally did give me neck-snap. We all know how good (and perhaps unappreciated) the Boxster's brakes are but when he intentionally pulled into a gravel runoff and slammed on the brakes so we could switch seats I literally would have flown through the windshield if I hadn't been strapped in. It was a life-altering experience (granted I have only had to really apply my own car's brakes once and it impressed me, as well).

Compared to him, I drove like a 90 year old granny on life-support, but I still drove spiritedly and enjoyed the hell out of. Steering on the street obviously felt 987ish with little difference from my own car. I did enjoy the six-speed on the Cayman quite a bit (I have the five speed on mine) and the throws felt great. Obviously the interior "felt" and looked the same, and I didn't really contemplate the increased space in the environs that much.

Overall, it was a pimpin nice ride for sure. More similar to a base 911 I've driven (not hard) than to the 987 base. Made me wonder what a GT3 would be like to drive, when I hadn't previously given that much though.

However, I will say that the same thought crossed my mind as when I drive or shop for any sports car these days. When exactly will I be using all this performance? Third gear in a 987 will take you into the 90s and the whole time that we were driving we were in that "lose your license - no excuses accepted" territory, but I guess the appeal is more emotional than practical.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote