View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
AKnowles

When I went to repalce the ballast resistor on my driver side fan, I didn't know you could just clip the existing wires. Or rather I should say, I didn't know where to clip the existing wires. In any case, I went through the trouble of removing the entire fan housing just so I could trace the wires. The bottom line: it really is not a difficult job.

A couple of things to do ...

1) Jack up the front end.
2) Remove the wheel liner. Buy a couple of repalcement plastic inserts just in case you damage one. Or one or more are missing.
3) Removing the diaganol support requires a bit of leverage/force. When you go to repalce it be sure to put the top part of the strut in first and work the nut on a few threads to keep it in place. That'll help a lot to prevent it from popping out as you work on getting the lower end in place.

The good news is that when you buy a replacement fan, it includes a new ballast resistor so you'll not need to pay for it as well.

The quick and simple way to test the fans is with a PST2/PWIS ot Durametric cable. You can choose low or high speed test settings. If you don't have one, the alterante method is to starty the car when it is cold. Turn on the AC. The fans should both run at low speed. When the car is hot enough and the AC ir sunning the fans should both run at high speed. I forget the actual pressure requirement for the AC refrigerent, but it is listed on the forum and a search will pull it up. Out here, I don't have to worry about it, just turning n the AC and driving and I know it reach its peak value. It's 100+ out here.