View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #30
Kroggers

OK, time to get up to date. Last race weekend we had was the weekend 27th and 28th of July and was in Seinäjoki here in Finland...

This one was a real adventure for me. One weekend a year the little town Seinäjoki in the North-West of Finland hosts a large event named "Race and Rock". During the day they have a large race event on a street circuit in an industrial area, and then during the evening there is a musical festival in the town centre...

This was my first ever race at Seinäjoki and also my first street circuit race. I had been told that the circuit which is obviously on closed public roads was nothing like a normal race circuit - warn and bumpy tarmac, concrete barriers and ditches at the side of the road etc. So, not very forgiving if you do something wrong, and known to take victims in almost every race

But once I started to learn the track I got faster and the event got more fun. There were some sections where the surface was really bad making for some interesting cornering and breaking, but that just made it more interesting.

I will admit that I did not like the concrete etc when I first drove the circuit, but I fast got used to it and almost forgot the barriers were there by the end of the last race

The "holy crap" moment for me and when I almost had to change my underwear was when in the second race of the weekend the car directly in front of me suffered some engine issues and covered the ground and my car in oil! I managed to keep the car on the tarmac, but unfortunately he did not...

You can see the fun and oil excitement in my in-car video from the race on the CoolCava Racing youtube channel - CoolCava Racing Boxster - Porsche PRCF Sports Cup Race 7 - 2013 at Seinäjoki - YouTube

But all in all a great weekend racing at a great event. I was told after the first race that there were over 20000 spectators there - largest crowd I have ever raced for

Took 2nd overall and 1st in class for both races that weekend which is also nice...

Was also nice to win a bottle of bubbly that I could take home and share with the family We did consider (my team mate Timo took 1st in class and 1st overall in his 996 GT3 Cup car) opening the bottles for a traditional spray everybody, but a 5hr drive home after would not have been so nice

Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote