View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
black_box
DIY extremist

My new-to-me 987 appears to be broken. CEL P0021 - ugly idle then no start

We were driving around with no apparent issues last night, got off of the expressway and stops the car is shaking with tach needle bouncing. A little throttle fed in seems to keep it alive enough to get up to a little speed. Runs fine once moving, power is fine seeming. Stop again, even weaker idle. It dies, people start honking, I fire it back up and take to a gas station in case it was running out without indicating empty (it was pretty low, with an OBC reported 33 miles remaining), tank up with 93 and fire it back up, same crappy idle trying to die, CEL on. I limp it home - again no sign of trouble while accelerating past 1000 RPMs, but at idle and possibly deceleration (maybe my imagination) engine sounds bad. Parked it, went to bed.

Came out this morning, tried to start. It goes unh-unh-unhhhh and does not even try to fire up, sounds like the starter is being snapped backwards by tension. Battery should be fine, drove at least 100 miles yesterday with no issues until just before we got home.

The codes are P0300 (random misfires), and P0021 (camshaft position out of range). I am pretty concerned about this, although it should be covered under warranty. I will have to get it flatbedded to a dealer, as the no start condition seems like it is not going away with roadside repair.

Car is 2008 Boxster S 6MT, and is under CPO warranty. I need the car to be good by 8/23 because we have a trip booked to Montreal. I will be getting it towed tomorrow morning.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Can anyone suggest a good dealership in NYC metro to handle this?
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote