View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
thom4782

My car is an 01S. The AC drain hole is on the inside edge of the passenger foot well about where the center console transitions to the central tube.

I had to replace my water pump about three weeks ago. About 15 miles before it failed completely (pulley fell off the shaft), I heard a squeak, squeak, squeak sound at low rpms (below 2000). When the rpms went higher, the engine and road noise masked the squeak so it seemed to go away. Turning the AC on or off made no difference.

It easy to check the water pump - it just take time. Remove the front engine access cover and inspect the water pump for leaks or leak residue. If you see these symptoms, It time to replace the pump. My recommendation is to use Porsche parts only here. If you don't see a leak or residue, you can then remove the serpentine belt and check the water pump to see if the shaft wobbles or binds. If it does, it time to replace it. BTW: you might hear the noise as you turn the shaft.

It's important to check the water pump for two reasons. If the pump fails, it could leave you stranded or cause an overheat. More importantly, if the pump shaft wobbles because its bearings are failing, the impeller could break as it strikes the engine block and small pieces could block coolant passages in the engine. If the impeller is metal (non-OEM), it could score the block.

Good luck
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote