View Single Post
Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Ian c

The adventures of Debbie the girl : racecar driver

I think I may have created a monster .....

I've known Debbie about 6 months now .
When I met her she had little to no interest in cars .
She has had a couple of cool aircooled beetles in the past and her current car was a new beetle turbo .
Because she liked the colour .
And because she thought it was cute .

I bought the boxster about 5 weeks ago now ..
I was putting too many miles on the 997 , there was a lull between projects after modifying her beetle and getting my 964 back from the painters , and it was cheap ...

I decided it would be an awesome idea to put her on the insurance .
I could then volunteer her as designated driver and get as drunk as I wanted too

Fatal mistake ...

She made comments along the lines of :
it feels so good around the corners ..
I can't believe how much fun it is ..
It wants me to drive it faster ..
Etc . Etc.

And so the seed was planted .
I suggested doing some training in the car to make her understand it a little better and become a more competent and safer driver in the process .
We talked about autocross and how it was easy ... Just driving around cones in a parking lot

Well , she got so excited she couldn't sleep !!
(Oh ****************)
So I contacted a couple of pca instructors and started the process of getting her some professional advice whilst learning .
I'm a firm believer in practice does not make perfect , it makes permanent ..... You have to be practicing the right things from the start

The car still is not ready (project car and all will be revealed in a week or two) , yet there was a pca autocross this weekend at el toro , and a mentioned we may want to go and check it out ....

Another fatal mistake , another sleepless night .

So sometime after lunch on Sunday we finally arrived ...

Daunting .
Apprehensive .
Scared .
Nervous .
I'm not sure how to describe it , but the was still enthusiastic even though she was surprised by the size , speed , and professionalism of it .
(Oh ****************)

Later that day she did convey her main worry from our spectator session :
She had never worn an helmet before .
(Oh ****************)

With this , I realized I had missed a vital step on the racer ladder .
Go karts !!!

How could I be so stupid !!

It is the logical first step .

So suggested we go karting sometime before her first autocross .
Another mistake .
Another sleepless night ..

So that is what we did tonight's.
I researched local tracks , and go kart world in Carson seemed ideal .
6 tracks , different speed karts , competence testing for faster carts , and gas powered .
It seems all the local tracks now use electric karts , and I have never driven one , so I wanted gas as imho it takes that long to pick up scrubbed speed due to bad driving i learned pretty quickly the best way around the track (plus the fact I had a 250lb pipe fitter catching me up and "bumping" my rear every time I messed up
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote