View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Bill986

Question Soft top help in WPB, FL ???

Hello-

I am in need of some help with a top mechanism. I am a new owner of a 97 Blue Turquoise Boxster (purchased from a member of this board) in West Palm Beach Florida.

Here's the situation: I bought the car about a week ago in Oregon with the hardtop installed. Drove it home (4145 miles!!! to FL) then removed the hardtop. I wanted to clean the top, so I put it up then down 1 time with NO problem at all.

My friend drove the car to work today and put the top up, then back down when he left work to return car. When he arrived, I noticed the top cover (clamshell?) was crooked and tried to put up the top to investigate. (He says he noticed nothing go wrong during the operation of the top.)

The top wants to go up on the right side, but the driver side wont move. I hear the "gear" noise on both sides. After removing the plastic cover, I can see the levers turning on the right side, but the left side wont move. No bent levers or broken joint ends are visible.

I wouldnt mind taking this to a mechanic if there is one within reasonable distance that someone could recommend. Braman Porsche is 2 miles away, but they would most likely charge a fortune to fix this. If I have to, I will start pulling it apart to fix it myself.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Bill
Bill986 is offline   Reply With Quote