Thread: Road Trip!
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #24
dbear61

This is Yellowstone Day 3. We're going up to Dunraven Pass from the South and doubling back because the north end the route was under construction. There was no way I was going to drive 12 miles on a gravel/dirt road with the Boxster.

The total drive for the day was only 160 miles, but we spent the afternoon in Cody, WY. I won't post much from Cody, but we did go to the "Old Trail Town", Buffalo Bill Center and the Cody Rodeo.

Drive:

Driving South from Mammoth Springs, we come to a traffic jam. Cars are stopped, then inch forward, then stop again. After creeping for a quarter mile in 15 minutes, we find out the cause: a small herd of Bison had been strolling down the middle of the road, and finally decided to move off to the field. Note the calf amongst them.

This is at the Canyon Village. After 11 years in California and a Summer only in WI, this was the closest Boxster had ever been to snow. I thought, "This is parking lot snowbanks left due to a late spring thaw. What a novel picture this would make."

On this trip, it would get even closer.

In the Canyon grocery store, we find the gourmet cheese display. If the Boxster had a third trunk, I would have brought a few cases from Wisconsin and turned a profit. Then we proceeded up the road to Dunraven Pass.

On the drive North, I have to come to a sudden stop. Bison vs. Boxster was a tense couple of minutes. This creature was taller than the Boxster, and probably weighed almost as much.

View from Dunraven Pass road:

Before leaving Yellowstone, we drove along Lake Yellowstone to capture this view of the mountains to the East:

My next post will be the remainder of the drive leaving Yellowstone and going to Cody.

DBear
dbear61 is offline   Reply With Quote