View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
schoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness View Post
Gents,
Backstory: other day, nice weather so i drove with the top down. after arriving at destination, went to put it back up and... nothing... tapping the button a few times I could see the top "jerking" a bit.

What you describe here (i.e., the top "jerking" a bit) could very well be caused by one of the plastic ball cups having broken off. I'm referring to the plastic ball cups on the end of the front pushrods.

The top can operate with just one front pushrod attached, but it will lurch forward or backward depending on the part of the cycle at which the top finds itself.

The "straining" part that you describe could be the now-dangling pushrod (because the plastic ball cup is no longer attached to the steel ball at the base of the B-Pillar) digging in and jamming itself against the foam drain tray or under the black "hydraulic" pushrod.

If this turns out to be the problem, replace the plastic ball cup and be sure to maintain the same overall length for the front pushrod. Also double check for any tears or rips in the foam drain tray on that side.

It would also be a good idea to lubricate the channels in which the black plastic sliders ride back and forth. You will find these sliders by following the body-colored support arms of the clamshell down to where they meet the inside of quarter-panel, just above the top edge of the convertible top well. Use some spray white lithium grease (or Dupont Krytox if you want to splurge on a lubricant that does not attract dust or dirt). That will make the operation of the clamshell a lot smoother and lessen the strain on the electric motor, cables and transmissions.

Also, the "top open" idiot light on the dashboard display is supposed to light up the moment that you open the latch and press the button. It's supposed to go out at the end of the cycle when a microswitch is tripped. In your case on your 2000 Boxster, that microswitch is one of two microswitches located INSIDE the driver's side transmission.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 07-04-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: add more info
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote