View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
southernstar

As I have posted before, considering the vintage of these cars (the 986's are now between 10 and 17 years from the date of manufacture) they are pretty bloody reliable. Take virtually any car of that age, corner hard, brake hard, redline the engine with some frequency and see what happens to brakes, suspension, clutches, electrical components, transmissions and engines.

I could afford a new Boxster, but to me it would be a complete waste as I can get more enjoyment using the additional funds elsewhere. The point is, I find the 986 just as much fun to drive as the newer cars (and more fun if one compares a manual 986 with a 981 with electric steering and the almost mandatory PDK). I love the looks of the 986 - its curvaceous, clean, understated lines with roots in the 550 Spyder speak to Porsche's history - and to me, the car just seems more uniquely a Porsche than the subsequent 987 and 981. I love the clamshell for the top - it looks so cool opening and closing and provides a much more finsihed look with the top down than the new 981. Bottom line - the 986 is really quite a package at such a low cost of admission and, while upkeep costs are higher than some economboxes, they are decidedly not an econobox!

Based upon the comments of many others, I have budgeted $2000.00 t0 $2500.00 annually for maintenance and at the moment, I am far enough ahead of the game that I could afford to install a new clutch and IMS bearing and stay within that budget (and no I am not - I am still waiting for my clutch to need replacement). Perhaps the best way to look at a 986 is to think of them as a budget mid-engined exotic car. The acceleration and top speed may not be up to that of various Ferrari's, Maseratis, Lambo's etc., but the layout, handling, braking and fun-quotient certainly are. They also have a degree of cache, for those who are interested in the same (and what Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati and yes, Porsche owner is not, to some degree, proud of their car's pedigree?).

In life one has to learn to accept the good with the bad, and IMO, the good in the Boxster vastly outweights any issues concerning reliability and the cost of maintenance.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote