Thread: Beginner Racing
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
I was wondering also how much your standard Boxster suffers in race induced maintenance.

I suspect the clutch would be on the list as well?

What about engine wear from running like a banshee at high RPMs so much?

Do you blow engines occasionally at the AX and TT level?

I have had the good fortune of meeting Topless and his brother who drove me as an instructor during my Autocross portion of the PCA Performance Driving School.

It was super educational and exciting and I'm planning to do more once I get a couple other projects cleared off the deck later this year.

I'm already thinking of getting another Boxster for Track use, but I'm getting ahead of myself a bit at this point.
Danny says you have natural talent for this game and all you need is seat time.

Wear and tear really depends on the driver. If you do basic reliability mods and use good technique you wont eat clutches, trans, or engines any faster than the average driver. If you do a lot of clutch dumps, over-rev downshifts, and Fast & Furious gear changes your maintenance costs will skyrocket. I know one fast driver who used to be really hard on transmissions. After killing 3 gearboxes in one season he smoothed his shifting out and maintenance costs went way down.

My car has 107K miles, 80 track days, doesn't burn oil and runs like new. I do take good care of it though.