View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
01SBox

The charger station network is growing exponentially.

EV Charging Stations to Grow to 11 Million by 2020, Pike Research Forecasts | CleanTechnica

And EV stations (unlike a gas station) can be anywhere, has no regulations, and is as simple as a power outlet. The grocery store down the street from me just put an EV station in it's parking lot - and it's free. Gas is dangerous, and is highly regulated and permitted not only due to the danger of fire and explosion, but also because the underground storage containers leak, and are mandated to be replaced at set intervals.

In addition, the batteries are becoming smaller, lighter, and with dramatically increased ranges

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/153614-new-lithium-ion-battery-design-thats-2000-times-more-powerful-recharges-1000-times-faster

With a range like that, you will be able to drive from Coast to Coast with one charge, that charge will take about 1 hour, and cost next to nothing.

The Model S is sold out. No novelty about that. Pre-orders for the Tesla SUV are greater than any vehicle in the history of humankind. Tesla is increasing it's production space to increase the output to keep up with demand, and they paid back the loan to the US ahead of schedule.

Europe has a stronger demand for the sold out Model S than in the US.

Report: Tesla Expects To Sell 500,000 Cars, Europe Model S Demand Strong

The best part of a Model S (or nissan Leaf) is, they are sold with chargers. The average person can plug into a standard household socket, and charge for .07cents per kilowatt. That's the same as getting 130mpg of gas.

Overall, electric vehicle sales are predicted to triple within the next 2 years, with Tesla leading the % of the vehicles sold.

I purchased Tesla stock in the 30's, and I will say, the ride to 100 has been novel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
This is a novelty car and always will be. There is no way they will ever cover the entire nation let alone the low population areas of states. Yes, this can work in a larger city, but when you live in an area (like I do) 3 hours from the larger cities...it ain't happening. You drive out to small farming communities and the towns between them, you will always find a gas station...you think they will put one here? How about eastern Oregon...they have a hard enough time based on land laws and property ownership rights to keep existing gas stations in place. As I said, this is a novelty car...
01SBox is offline   Reply With Quote