View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
vijen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I took the beginner and advanced courses with EVO. The advanced was in the most insane monsoon of rain I have ever driven in. I drove out to the venue almost sure that it would be canceled. Nope. They said to me "We're driving in this stuff so brake accordingly"
Wipers were going full speed as was the car! then in the post-lunch session the sun came out full force. I don't think I would have ever have had the oppourtunity to drive like that in wet conditions if not for the event. It was a unexpected blessing. The thing I learned is that the Boxster should be driven CONSERVATIVELY in the rain. First, it doesn't take too harsh a spin on the road to cause massive damage to the suspension/wheels should you lose the car and find it slamming into curbs or dividers. You can easily total the car with damage that doesn't seem that great from afar. Afterall these are sports cars that are fragile, they aren't SUV's.
Yeah I had looked into taking Evo school in the past but for the past few years, the site they used was notorious for unmaintained surface shredding tires. I didn't have the budget to get a new set of tire after the school, so never signed up. It seems they have now changed location. Hurrah for that.

Quote:
For $4K I would get the Forgestar F14 wheel which is ~20 lb. wheel that has sold for about $1,500. Depending on the size, I'd get a solid tire like the RE-11A, MPSS (probably the best for cars driven to the AX), Dunlop Z2, BFG Rival, Hankook RS3.
replace the battery with an Optima, and pick up a GT3 seat (direct bolt in). You'd have a few bucks to spare for the EVO school. Going with PSS9 or some other coil over will almost surely bump you up into a bigger engine class in most AX clubs. Tinkering with the suspension will eat up most of your budget so better to spend that on tires/wheels first.
Yep, for the price, the F14 seems unbeatable value. Though there's a few horror stories from people buying through mod-bargain.

Quote:
scroll down for 18" wheel weights. Some of these are availble in Porsche fit.
Wheel weight comparison - Weights of various popular 18-20 inch rims
Nice link! I didn't know that there was that much of a difference between the TE37 and the SuperLaps. Those Advan RZ-DF are quite sexy too.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote