View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
kjc2050

Garage
Ignition Switch Replacement: HOLY CRAP!!!

My ignition switch has been acting up recently, so I bought a replacement (electrical part of switch) a few weeks ago. Tonight the switch decided to go on strike: key very difficult to remove, and seemed to turn a little too far when I started the car. I managed to get the key out, disconnected the negative battery terminal, and started the replacement process:

1. Removed heater duct. No sweat.
2. Pulled off electrical connector from back of switch. This is gonna be easy!!
3. Ground to a complete halt. WOW. I am not a large human being, but I have no idea how on earth I'm going to get in a position that will enable me to loosen those two screws.

What size / type of screwdriver have other owners used???? I am trying to use a mini screwdriver that's perhaps 3" long, and it seems way too long for the job, OR I need to be triple jointed or something. The space where I'd put my hand to turn the screwdriver to loosen the screw (mind you, so far I'm just talking about the screw that's on the console side of the switch) seems impossibly tight.

I'd really appreciate any tips or tricks anyone could provide! Thanks in advance for your help.