View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
I would like to put a new 12V power port in the empty spot to the left of the stereo. I know I can get a non-smoker's part, but how/where would it be connected that is safe and turns off when the car is off? Any ideas?

TIA!

John,

If it were me, I'd run it straight to the FuseBox. RadioShack sells a Product called a Blade-Type Fuse Tap - Part# 270-1204 - Pack of 4 under $2 - see: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102780&cp . These are Brass pieces which fit under the Blades of a standard Automotive Fuse. You insert the Fuse into the Fuse Tap (Positive + side) and then insert the Fuse into the Fusebox. This leaves an exposed Male Blade to which you can insert a Female Connector.

Install the Lighter Socket as you describe and ground one side by splicing into any Brown Wire. Put a Female Crimp Connector onto another wire, (I'd go with 14Ga) and string this through to the FuseBox (using Wire Ties to keep it secure, out of the way) and attach it to the Male Spade from the FuseTap.

On the 2000 MY, Fuse # D4 is unused and so you could add a 15Amp Fuse there to draw Fused Power for the Lighter Socket. 15 Amp is the Rating for the existing Lighter Fuse, so you'd be OK. Very Easy install. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-16-2006 at 08:26 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote