View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
Hmm. What am I missing here? Doesn't the extra camber needed to get your R compounds to work on the track mean that the inside edges will take a beating during street driving? This must affect the performance. In my DE days I used to tow my Rs in a little trailer behind my car and let the damage get done to less expensive and hardier street tires. Also had the advantage of ensuring I had "rain tires" if the weather turned.
Jitts,

A street car/TT/DE car is inherently a series of compromises. We run with no cage and full interior, less negative camber than BSR cars, and wear only the tires we think we can get home on. It is the same way it was done back in the height of sportscar racing. Drive to the track, unload, go race, drive home. It is a compromise by design.

In spite of all these compromises we still manage to have a good time. And not having to own and maintain a full size tow vehicle, trailer, and all the "stuff" that goes to the track along with it has it's rewards. A few of these old guys in fully dressed out 300 excess lb, soft top, compromised setup, air conditioned, tire shredding BSX cars even manage to turn lap times that are mid-pack BSR. Who knew?

How it was done in the old days:
RETROSPECTIVE>>ROAD RACING AT POMONA - Speedhunters