View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #35
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01S View Post
I am about to order the parts for the car- Lifters, sealant, IMSB, install kit, and timing tools. Before I do what else could I inspect and look at to check for failure? I am a little hesistant to spend the money on these parts if in fact I can't 100% verify anything failed.

I know the noise was a 1/2 speed noise telling me valvetrain
I know using a stethoscope, and 3 different sets of ears the noise was coming from the 4-6 cylinder head.
I know all the lifters looked and felt exactly the same when I had them submerged in oil.
I know all the valve springs look perfect
I know the compression is great in all 6 cylinders
I know all the spark plugs look good

I did notice the tensioner below the a/c compressor for cylinders 4-6 had definitely more play in it than the tensioner near the oil filter for the IMS chain. Is this normal? They are two differnet styles, but the one closest to the IMSB and oil filter I could barely move by hand. The tensioner for the cylinders 4-6 chain I could move from a standing 3 5/8" down to 3 1/8" using just the palm of my hand.
Due to the wear & inaccessible location of the tensioner, I would replace it.
Replace the VarioCam chain wear pads even if not showing any wear. The new updated parts are made of a superior material that is far more wear resistant & resonably priced too.
Seems the long oil change interval has allowed the lifters to become clogged.
Really look the vave springs over very well, checking for any broken springs.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote