View Single Post
Old 01-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #5
MNBoxster

Hi,

Another wonderful design problem from Porsche. The Center Latch Mechanism, and Sunvisors are attached to the Windshield Header with Brass Nuts which live inside the Windshield Header and are NOT accessible. The Screws however which attach to them are Steel (which is considerably harder than Brass) and often these are overtightened or simply overstressed by Top and consequently, these Brass Nuts will either Split or Strip.

The ONLY fix is to Drill-Out the old Brass Nuts carefully with a 1/4in. Drill Bit (I say carefully because the Drill will want to Grab and you must take care not to drill through the Header on the other side).

Then, you need to install some SS Steel 1/4 in. NUTSERTS , sometimes called RivetNuts see: http://www.hansonrivet.com/w64.htm . A Nutserts is essentially a POP Rivet with a Threaded Barrel. They make a very solid permanent repair.

The SS Nutserts will cost you about $0.50@. The Downside is that you'll need a special Tool to install them and this Tool cost me $80 to install 6 Nutserts!! see: http://www.hansonrivet.com/w69.htm Don't panic, after using mine, I sold it on eBay for $85 in 1 day!

Anyway, after drilling out the old Nut(s) (might as well do them all while you're at it), you screw the Nutsert onto the installation tool - like a Large Pop Rivet Gun, insert the Nutsert into the slot in the Windshield Header and then squeeze the Nutsert Gun (make sure to eat your Wheaties if you are using Steel Nutserts) to collapse the Nutsert into the Windshield Header, just like installing a POP Rivet.

The OEM Torx Screw is Metric, so you'll need to find Metric Nutserts, or replace the Screws as well. This is what I did and I found the SAE equivalent of the OEM Screws at a local Hardware Store with the same Torx Head as the OEM Screws.

The Fix is permanent, especially if you used the SS Steel Nutserts. Takes about 20 min. to drill out the 6 old ones and install the New Nutserts. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-14-2006 at 06:55 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote