View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
joe shmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trygve View Post
Joe, we have a good bunch of nor cal SPB cars and drivers now. I sort of went through the same process as you, with my daily driver bought new, turned DE then TT then track car / race car, and then finally SPB to start 2012.

If you are on Facebook, shoot me a PM with your info and I'll add you to the BSR group there and you can meet the locals. We'll be at Buttonwillow this weekend and Laguna Seca June 21-23.

The factory top should be gutted, and if combined with a Lexan rear window won't be too heavy. However, the fiberglas tops are better and if you are a bit patient you can probably sell your factory top for as much as a fiberglass top & window will cost. Since you are not in a hurry I'd recommend the Sheridan top since it is a noticeably better "fit and finish" than the GT Racing top. You must wear arm restraints if running a non-factory top.

The nor cal go-to guy for cages is Tony Colicchio at TC Design in Milpitas. He's done many and gets the cage nice and tight up against the a-pillars, etc. for more driver space. Tony actually asked me whether I was going factory or fiberglas because he could push a little more space with the fiberglas, I think because even a gutted factory top takes a little more space inside somewhere.

I did nearly all of the stripping of the car myself in my garage, so I can answer questions on that topic pretty well. My car was just 25 lbs over minimum on the PCA scales at COTA recently, so for a driver cooling system's weight to be "free", I need to drop 40 lbs more.

thanks trygve. wow you and your car thru and thru since new. awesome!
i've been wondering where the norcal bsr group are hiding in the forums. i see fairly good field when running with pca-ggr. it's one of the main reasons why i want to do bsr. my gt3 buddies will be at BW this weekend. unfortunately, i won't be able to make it.

i spoke with TC and he mention exactly as you say about oem vs. GT racing. looks like i will be putting up the OEM hardtop for sale. hope it sells fast 'cos i don't have room to store the top. i will be stripping the car myself as well. i'll hit you up with a pm. thanks!
joe shmoo is offline   Reply With Quote