View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
LAP1DOUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoothlee View Post
Im having some trouble deciding on a sway bar kit to use for autoX. Here are some quick specs.

Car: 2000 boxster with a 3.4 996 engine

Wheels and tires: Cup 1 17X9" on all 4, 255 front 275 rear stagger on autoX slicks
Suspension: stock for now

Within the next few weeks, I will be buying a set of K sport coilovers with 450/550 spring rates, but after I choose a set of sway bars.

I like the GT3 front bar, but its extremely expensive. Are the H+Rs and Eibachs too stiff? The pricing is just about what id like to pay for a set.... what is your experience?
At 255 F / 275 R, that is not a lot of stagger, which is just about right given the lmited front camber that you have available. That is, due to camber limitations, you are not able to get the most out of the front rubber, so if you have a lot of stagger, it would inherently understeer.

The GT3 front bar is good and light, and has plenty of adjustment. Definitely worth it. The 450 / 550 spring rates will change the balance, so you will be tuning balance front to rear after installing those spring rates.

The GT3 front bar will limit body roll, which limits camber change in roll, which will actually decrease understeer to a point, but if you go too stiff, the front bar will start to increase understeer.

The new 450#/in springs are probably about twice as stiff as stock, so you may want to reduce front bar stiffness after changing springs. I would strongly suggest doing the front bar first and tune on that before making any rear bar changes. Too many variables at one time is not a good thing.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote