View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight View Post
I don't usually like making waves, but I will "stir the pot" and call BS.

""Mass market" oil spend more on advertising than they do on additives." It is easy to search for and find (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf) the Zn and P levels of Mobil 1 0w-40 (1100 PPM Zn, 1000PPM P) but I am having difficulty finding these respective numbers for other brands of oil, including boutique oils such as Motul...

I'm not trying to start a war here; but I just don't buy into the common hate against Mobil 1. I would like to see actual numbers, such as ZN and P levels, that would suggest that Mobil 1 is inferior to others. Until then, I will keep using the 5-quart Wal Mart specialty.
Excellence Magazine's technical conributor Tony Callas (who posted in this forum) indicated that you should be at least 1,250 PPM, peferably at 1,350 PPM. I guess Mobil 1 is not in that ballpark. This recommendation was based on their complaint that they are seeing an abundance of valvetrain damage presumably from the bulk of its customers who used the factory fill Mobil1 at those interesting interval recommendations.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote