View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
darknight

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Head View Post
Well........I know this topic has been beaten to death but I'm changing the brand of oil that has been used in the Boxster (1998, 2.5, 5 speed, 27k miles). I have always been a Mobil 1 fan (use it in my truck and the wifes Charger) but after doing a lot of searching and reading of past posts on this site, I think it's time to try Castrol Edge (Syntec Technology). I have read many posts by JFP in PA and he highly recommends the Castrol 0 W40. He seems to have a huge amount of info on how different oils perform in the Boxster engine. I decided to go with the 5 W50 weight just because it is the weight recommended in my manual.

I'm wondering if there will be that much difference in 0 W40 vs. 5 W50. My thinking was the 5 would give a little more adhesion to engine parts at start up and the 50 would give a little more protection against oil breakdown at the higher temps Boxsters are known for. I'm probably putting way to much thought into this .

I live in Southern Indiana with temps averaging between 25-95 degrees. I change my oil only once a year due to low milage (2800-3500 miles per year). I'm curious what the oil gurus think of my oil selection.
I, personally, would stick with the 40 weight. We need to do what we are comfortable with and the oil change interval is more important than the specific oil brand, provided you stick with a quality brand, preferably with a fair amount of Zn and P.

Mobil 1 0w40 European formula has good amounts of both and should not pose a problem, especially when changed often (3,000 ish miles).
darknight is offline   Reply With Quote