View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
AKnowles

I'm doing the same thing myself this weekend. I will also be replacing the thermostat with an LN Enginnering low temperature model. Like you, I've researched it all. Until my eyes bleed. What it comes down to is:

A) Porsche uses OAT longlife antifreeze.

B) You can pretty much mix any Prestone antifreeze without the "gelling" effect. Or use Peak long life antifreeze. Or VM/AUdi. Or Mercedes. Etc.

C) If you don't use Porsche antifreeze and take it to a dealer for any cooling system work, well you are on your own at that point. Too many potential dealer/mechanic issues to bother discussiong but you can probably guess what Porsche will say.

D) It's your money, but how much will you save using non-Porsche antifreeze? And is it worth it? The only reason, and I mean the only "real reason I could find" to use non-Porsche antifreeze seems to be related to availability. If you have a problem while on the road, the regular brands will be highly available. Not so with Porsche brand antifreeze.

For myself, I've decided to buy the Porsche antifreeze and distilled water for the same reason I decided to buy the Porsche water pump - best recommendation from other Porsche owners and saving $75 on antifreeze just isn't woth it to me. You may have another opinon though on how much $75 is value wise than I do.

In any case, best of luck with your install.

FWIW, I picked up 3 Gal of Porsche anti-freeze for $42 a Gal. $10 less than that on the Pelican web site and didn't have to pay for S&H.

Last edited by AKnowles; 04-26-2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Coolant price
AKnowles is offline   Reply With Quote