View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #10
LAP1DOUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcarr View Post
Topless- thanks for the input.
I used to race ITS and EP class in the SCCA, but that was 13 years ago.

Maybe doing the first few days on street rubber wouldn't be a bad idea even with my past experience given I've never driven this particular car on a track.
Once you dial in a substantial amount of negative camber for the track, does the car maintain it's every day drivability or is that lost in the change?
Thanks for all the help. i just joined the Sac Valley PCA and am looking forward to AutoX and DE days.
Mike
Welcome to the retired SCCA racer's group. I used to race S2000 years ago, and have been enjoying tuning the 986S the last couple of years.

There are now some very good street tires that can be run well on track and autocross. Ditch the bling 19" wheels for multiple reasons, not the least of which is needing a small diameter tire for the too tall gearing these things have.

Best bang for the buck to get you started is 18" wheels with around 255 front / 285 rear rubber using something like ZII / Rival / RE-11A / RS-3 tires, and a GT-3 front bar. After you tune on that for a while, get some GT-3 LCA's or camber plates.

I do suggest that you use auto-x events to experiment with set-up before going to track. It is pretty easy to overstep the oversteer / understeer balance, so best to experiment where you can't hurt anything too badly.

Good luck.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote