View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 05:16 AM   #12
mjw930

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalsFan
After reading the previous posts on the experiences and advice of other board members, I am somewhat ashamed to admit that when I bid on and purchased my Boxster "S" through eBay (see 1st post of this thread) that I did so without having it inspected first. I pretty much depended on the honesty and integrety of the seller (a small car reseller in Portland), and the fact that it only had 19K miles on it. Pretty naive and trusting on my part. However, I knew that I was not going to turn the money over to him until I picked up the vehicle at his lot and test drove it first. He could not be more accommodating though out this process. So I got lucky. Based on the experiences and good advice of the previous posts, I would probably not take such a risk again.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and advice.
No reason the be ashamed, if the bid price was in the neighborhood of what you wanted to pay then you did what you needed to get the car. As for inspections and such, if the car was still on factory warranty and it came back with a clean carfax (I know, this isn't perfect but it's all we have) AND you were buying from a registered dealer then you minimized your risk. About the only thing I might have done would have been a PPI from a local Porsche dealer but in lieu of that calling the servicing dealer to get the service history of the car works too.

Current Porsches:
2004 Cayenne Turbo
2003 Boxster S
Past Porsches:
1989 911 turbo
1981 911SC
1984 944
1973 914
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote