View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
ProjectM96

Non-Porsche question about an RX-7-Would you?

Hello. Well I have and love my 2000 Boxster 2.7L.

I was not planning on buying another car anytime soon and I am saving up for a wedding and grad school(without taking loans)

A friend of mine is the original owner of a 1993 Mazda RX-7 R1 w/MT. The R1 is the highest trim and rarest U.S. version of the RX-7. 160,000 miles on body and 36,000 miles on 3rd Mazda reman rotary engine. It is in great condition inside and out but it has a dent in the rear fender about 5 inches in diameter. I know someone who can fix it for $600 and take care of the rust around the inner wheel well for an additional $250.

So my friend is willing to sell it to me for $8000, which is a steal. These typically sell for $12,000 in it's current condition. I already saw the car in person and my friend daily drives it to work so I know it runs well.
After title and taxes and first year insurance and inspection, it will be a $10,000 car.

It has an exhaust system and lowering springs (My Box is lower with its lowering springs). Everything else is stock.

I plan to test drive it this week. If it blows me away, I might sell my Box. If it feels like the Boxster, I would probably buy it to drive it for a year, then sell it with hopes of making a profit or breaking even.

I would likely take a loan to buy the car and try to pay it off asap. So if you were in my situation, and if the RX-7 is on your bucket list of cars to own, would you?