View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
srad34

Garage
Blown AOS & Oil leaks - Look what I found........

Hi all,

I thought I would share my findings after investigating another oil leak on my old Boxster....
In the last few months, we had 2 failed AOS units, I also decided to fit a catch tank and filter rather than running back into the intake. This seemed to sort things then recently we noticed an oil leak on the RHS side of the engine. On closer inspection, the catch tank was overflowing (1 litre!) so there was obviously another issue so.......

Up on the ramps, there was oil pooling under the AOS, pretty messy. I had read on another Porsche forum about the scavenger pumps, if they are fitted the wrong way round, they will not push the oil back into the sump so this could explain the false levels on the dipstick of late. So I removed the rear pump (RHS bank)....
Here is the (back of the) pump, plus the sheared off peg on the right. The unit appeared to be seized, hence the pin shearing off, so apart it came...

In dis-assembly, this is what I found. The remains of a m6 bolt that was wedged in the gear. At least this explains the broken pin and lack of oil being pumped back into the sump. This in turn was not allowing the oil to flow back into the head from the AOS directly above it....hence ending up in the catch tank....

Looking closely, the bolt as you can see was jammed in place and I had to remove with pliers! The pump is scrap now, fortunately the front pump was good..

Here is the complete assembly, generally robust as long as stray bolts don't find their way in!

I need to find a replacement pump asap.
No idea where the bolt came from but I will filter the drained oil tomorrow too, maybe drop the sump while I am under the car to have a look too....

Fingers crossed, I can get it all back together on Monday. I need to degrease and power wash the engine and gearbox as the catch tank overflow made a hell of a mess!

Happy Easter all!