View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #27
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
Sure, all-seasons are a compromise. They are a compromise that is ideal for those of us who live in cold climates where we use the Porsche as an occasional weekend car. We don't take the Porsche out if it's going to snow -- duh! -- but it's sure nice to be able to drive on those weekends when it's cold but not snowy. We live in the Midwest where it may be 25 degrees this weekend, 70 the next, 15 the next, 55 the next, etc. etc. Under those circumstances it hardly makes sense to invest in buying, STORING, and changing an entire second set of tires/wheels -- for what, one or two weekends a year?
I think you've successfully argued that all season tires are more convenient for your wallet and garage space. No one is debating that.

The difference of opinion here seems to be based on your impression that a winter tire's only benefit is treading snow. Does it rain during winter where you are? I'm pretty sure it does. Which means you've driven over patches of ice. The amount of snow you get is really just a secondary consideration. Whether you get a little snow or a lot more you're going to be driving over ice all winter long, ditto for sleet and freezing rain just the same. It's called a Winter Tire because it's for all of winter's challenges, not just snow. It really doesn't take very much of a mishap for a driver to lose control and wreck the underside/suspension of a Boxster. And winter is the best season to test the limit of your tires. The compromise during summer for an all season tire isn't really the issue. It's that you are compromising summer performance for very little additional winter performance. So in essence you're giving much for very little. You may think that your all season tire is performing well because you're carrying speed but that's not really the true test. It's when you really need your tires and have to lay into the brakes or take a sharp turn of the wheel to avoid collision. It's sort of like saying "I'm getting along fine without my seatbelt when I drive 80 to 100 mph."

The video below does an excellent job of showing what happens on all seasons when you really need your tires to keep from slamming into the car in front or when the back end steps out in a turn and you end up in the oncoming traffic lane.

YouTube - Winter Tire vs AS over ice
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-23-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote