View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
Perfectlap

same experience here, legit snow tires will last a very long time. which makes it a win win. And its pretty tough to flat spot them like with a cheap tire, well at least that was the case with my Pirelli SnowSports (discontinued tire). As long as clearance is not an issue, they will get you home in one piece in real snow, not a 1" or less dusting, they have excellent wet weather performance in freezing rain, and can easily last five seasons, which means your spring/summer/fall tires will last a lot longer with the snow tires taking the brunt during winter.

and to the OP, you don't need to balance the wheels each time you switch over.
You can get one of these handy tire trees and just tuck them away in a corner.

Home Page > ECS News > Wheel Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I bought a set of Kumho AS tires. They were horrible in virtually any depth of snow. I was using the wheels that came on the car, so we're talking 18" tires. I generally bummed a ride with a pretty young lady who lived down the street from me and worked at my office that winter. That next winter I bought a set of Blizzaks and reused the 18" wheels and my 01S got around great in snow.

I've used that same set of Blizzaks on my 08 Boxster S LE, my 07 Cayman S, and they're currently on my 08 Cayman S Sport. I bought a set of Cayman wheels when I bought my LE and all my 987s have done great in snow. After 6 seasons and probably close to 20K mi on them, they still work and have plenty of tread left.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote