View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #18
recycledsixtie
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurky View Post
Im the OP. I live in Connecticut so Snow and Ice are a factor. If its really bad I don't drive the Porsche. How great is the difference between winter tires and all season in the snow? Would my best option be to get a second set of wheels and change them myself? Wouldn't you then need balancing and alignment from a shop which is the headache I'm trying to avoid?
I have no idea how all season radials are in the snow. As my previous comment says, snow tires in the winter and summer tires in the summer. So it is an inconvenience to have two sets of rims but it is an easy changeover even if u do it yourself. As the above poster says the expensive summer tires last longer because you are using them only half the year. Get them balanced - both sets and be done with it. Nothing worse than getting stuck in all season radials. We have 3 feet of snow in our backyard. Drivers are getting stuck in the streets here with the recent 10 inches of snow and I would put $$$$ on it they are using all season radials. This is the first time this winter that I have not driven the Boxster on the streets because of the snow depth. Here if you use winter tires you can get a discount on your auto insurance as well. Plan for the worst case scenario and you will be better prepared.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote