View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
black_falcon

Considering Boxster daily driver.. crazy?

I was going to take my tax returns and catch up on some deferred maintenance to my 6 spd BMW 540i (water pump and all the gaskets leak, window regulator, etc, etc), but realize I'll still have car with near 200k and rust bubbles. Seems like throwing good money after bad.

For the past year I've had the early 97-99 Boxster itch due to their very attractive prices. I know the 2.7 models are preferred, but I always like early stuff, purity of design I guess. Much like I'd prefer an 1983 944 over the 1986 944 I've owned for ten years. I wouldn't rule out a 2.7, however..

I drive 5-6k per year, work 5 miles from home, and don't do any other significant driving other than errands to the store or out with friends.

My biggest concern is living in Minnesota; our winters aren't the hell they used to be, and roads are usually cleared within hours of a snowfall, but I'd still need a set of blizzaks on narrower 16" rims and would invest in a hardtop. I used my 86 944 as a DD for two years from 03-05 and it was doable. I'm sure the Boxster isn't ideal in snow, but the pleasure it would bring the rest of the year would undoubtedly make up for it.

I've done my research and understand Boxsters take some money to run, probably on par to what I put into my 944 and 540i, but are fairly solid cars. A 2.5 would get nice fuel economy.

My questions are: (1) Are they comfortable or will the car wear on my as a [/U]daily driver? (2) Are all 2.5 motors with some miles on them time bombs, or at this point have most been repaired/replaced? (3)With their prices on the rise, I am also considered stretching my budget to a 964 C4 as a DD or a 911SC as my fun car and wonder if that would be a wiser purchase with their values on the uptick?

I know this is long, so thanks for your help!
black_falcon is offline   Reply With Quote