View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #48
gj3ny

Garage
The cars/brand that I lusted after at age 16 are still many of the cars that I want the most today. When I went looking for the first car I was going to pay for I drove a 914 and fell in love. Couldn't afford it so I bought the next closest mid engine car I could, Fiat X1/9. My ultimate car today is still a 914 but now it has six cylinders.

Porsche has the same problem as Harley Davidson, a design that many fell in love with when they were younger and could only dream about a purchase. Today we are all older and financially better off so our dreams are becoming more affordable.

Harleys were all air cooled V twins and it seems like every attempt at joining the future (water cooled V-rod) has met with a luke warm response from the buying public. It's not the concept we fell in love with at 16. I still want to ride off into the sunset on a Captain America bike.

Porsche built it's reputation on a rear engine air cooled platform and like Harley is having trouble maintaining a corporate image and I feel advancing technologically. They managed to get past the air cooled thing but appear to be having a hard time with the rear engine portion of the package.

I will always wanted a mid engine car. When it takes electronics to keep a car competitive I look away from a rear engine platform.

Here we are discussing owning a mid vs. rear engine cars when the company makes so much money from selling a big SUV. I still can't get my head wrapped around that one.

Gary
gj3ny is offline   Reply With Quote