View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #50
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
So if I decide that I want to claybar my '97, what steps should I take first? I would imagine there are many years of wax and grime and stuff on my car (still looks good though). Would I benefit from trying to remove all that gunk first and how would I do that without stripping the paint off?
that's what the claybar does. It strips everthing down to the clear coat. Some will wash the car with dishwashing soap to clear sediments first, althouh any car wash soap brand will work for this first stage wash. Then soap up the car again with the dish wash detergent and clay bar the sudsy surface. The dish was detergent will strip all the wax off. Then wash the car again to clear the wax that might remain on the surface. At this stage you should use a paint polish wax to clean the paint of the really stuck on contaminants. I recommend Werkstat Prime Strong. It's a "two in one" polish and sealant. After that's cured for a day you can top with whatever carnauba or synthetic wax you prefer.

Given the age of your car you migh consider doing a paint decontamination as well. Over the years rust and other metal particles can hook into the paint swirls or channels. Regular washing migh not get at this.
This has a good explanation
Finish Kare Paint Decontamination System, auto paint cleaning system, de-contamination solution

p.s.
The Meguiars is good but if you are near an Advanced Auto, the Griot's Garage brand clay is a better value.
It has a bigger clay bar, comes in a convenient air-tight jar to store the left over clay so it doesn't harden and Griot's don't force you to buy their detail spray like Megair's does, its just the clay. Any dilution of car wash soap (just enough soap to be slippery) will work with any clay bar. If you use too much soap no big deal since you have to wash the car again anyway.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-12-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote