View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Meir
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFozz View Post
Should I plan on removing the entire axel and replacing the CV on the work-bench? Some of the write-ups I've read say people have been successfull replacing the inner CV without removal of the axel... This sounds like it could save alot of work/time, but is there really enough room to do this?

Thanks for the info on the bolt size. I'm hoping to order all of the parts ahead of time and complete this job in one day... So I'm not really able to pull a bolt out to measure. Are the specific sized spec'd somewhere that I can reference?

Here in Kelowna, Canada we don't have a local dealer, so I don't have the luxury of buying same-day parts.

I plan to order:
2 inner CV's
Outer boots & new clamps
New bolts (10mm)
Exhaust manifold to head gaskets
Exhaust manifold to cat gaskets
32mm axel bolts for both sides (In case I have to fully remove from car)

Am I missing anything?
looks like you are covered.
i also ordered a tube of swepco grease from pelican. the new joints will come with two small bags of grease, but i also cleaned up and re greased the outer joints that is not replaceable.
i took the decision to remove the axle from the car and work on it on the bench. wasn't an easy task in my case.
take in mined that if you want to remove the axle, you will need a huge barker bar and a very large torque wrench to tighten the new axle nuts.
i went to a local truck tire shop.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote