View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang View Post
Kevin,

just to add one tiny little detail:
The cluster which you reprogrammed was an -> MY 01 cluster made by Motometer.
The 01 -> clusters were made by VDO
And even though they look very similar from the outside they are 100% different on the inside. So I doubt that an EPROM reprogramming which worked on your cluster can simply be applied to a VDO cluster
Chris-

I agree that they are different. The cluster on my car has blue, white and black connectors. His has the later green, blue, gray combination. I have not opened one of the later gauges, so I don't know whether the processes for programming them is similar.

I'm not sure about the gauges, but the circuit board on my clusters was made by VDO.

You can see VDO molded into the plastic at the top of the board.

I think that Chuck is going to be OK with his 03 gauge swap. For some reason, the Boxster clusters are a year ahead of the Carrera clusters. So, a 2001 Carrera Cluster is OK for a 2000 Boxster, but a 2001 Boxster needs a cluster from a Carrera made in 2002 or later. But, I think an 03 Boxster cluster should be fine in an 01 Boxster.

There is still a lot to learn about the clusters. Even the professional speedometer shops (including Palo Alto and North Hollywood) seemed to have limited knowledge about the clusters. I think part of the problem is that VDO does not sell parts to them, so the repairs they can make are limited.

BTW, I see you have a 996 gauge surround. I managed to find one for a good price, so I hope to do that soon.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 03-10-2013 at 08:53 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote