View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
mistermac99

Garage
Jacked back of car up using Rein. Plate Support instead of Rear Axle Support--Damage?

Yesterday I jacked up the entire rear of by 99 Boxster to replace the rear mud flaps just in front of the rear wheels. (not sure what the correct name is).

I looked in the Bentley Service Manual for a place to raise the entire rear end at once. I thought I found the area listed on the manual, but today I questioned myself and looked again.

Apparently I used the area closet to the rear bumper, which was where the reinforcement plate is bolted with two bolts. The Porsche Catalog says this is a strut.

Apparently I should have gone back towards the center of the car and used the point under the Rear Axle Support.

Everything seemed to go well, and I got the job finished and back on the road.

My question: Is the Rein. Plate Support strong enough to use as a jacking point, or should I use the Rear Axle Support area? Is there any chance I may have damaged something using this strut to jack the entire rear of the car? What do the ends of this strut attach to? I can see it bolts to something behind the rear fenders, but that's about it.