View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
rondocap

Struggling a bit with 1st gear shift from stop - is it me or the car?

So I've been driving manual now since December, I had rudimentary skills prior, but this is my first manual car.

OK, so I am still struggling a bit with the stop to 1st gear shift. When I was first learning and practicing, I would do this: I would let the clutch out until I felt it engage, and then apply the gas. This definitely took longer.

My second route as I attempt to make it smoother is to slowly let the clutch up, and at the same time, start to apply the gas, like a sea-saw.

Somestimes I do it well and the car goes smoothly. But a lot of the times, either it seems like I let the clutch out too high and the car starts to shake a bit if I am a little late on the gas, or I gas too soon and I overrev it a bit.

Best I've done is when it slightly revs up, and then engages as I try to do the clutch/gas simultaneously.

OK, so is it really this tricky? Do I just need more practice? When you shift smoothly, what exactly should the car be doing and not be doing?

I have 56k on original clutch. Is it possible my clutch is going and that's why it is harder to smoothly engage? I just can't get that "fast" start.

And of course, the more incline and hill there is, the harder it becomes and the easier it is for me to stall.
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote