View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #38
shadrach74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
The oil thing aside, here's my ditty:

Washing- first rinse the vehicle thoroughly, then use a mild soap (I like to use shampoo) and microfiber mitt for washing -
side to side, up and down, or circular motion notwithstanding.

Drying - I personally like the technique of using a leaf blower to get most of the water off,
followed with a high quality synthetic chamois to remove the remaining water.

Waxing- keep the paint "feed" regularly with a good quality wax, polish or detailer. As far
as which brand to use, recommendations will run the gamut. We all have our favorites,
so I'll let others chime in. At least you're not dealing with a dark color like black. Although,
red has it's own challenges by virtue of the fact that it's a weak pigment.

Wheel Cleaning & Exhaust Tips - I like to use Simple Green for cleaning wheels, exhaust
tips and other non-painted trim areas. It does not react adversely to aluminum or other metals,
to include painted surfaces. Beware of knock-off products that do.

Bug, Tar, Road Stains & Clear Bra edges - I've used everything from a simple degreaser, to
spray silicone to Goof-Off. I recommend testing any of these in an inconspicuous area first.

Black Wheels- My favorite detailer for this, believe it or not, is Pledge. By applying a light mist, and
letting it set-up - it will yield an amazing luster.

ClayBar - Because my vehicle is driven so seldom, and it's never subjected to the "elements", I've had no need to use Clay Bar. So, I'll let others give their advice on that topic.

JD, simple green is infact corrosive to aluminum. It is why simple green came up with an aviation formula. You can use it, but rinse very thoroughly...

From the simple green website:

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Simple Green® Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner & Polish is another option for cleaning polished aluminum. This product is designed for light duty metal cleaning and polishing.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote