View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
rondocap

What does "good handling" feel like?

So I've been trying to improve my driving skills, and have started to feel what potentially good handling feels like.

I know, 2 very different cars, but both have sporting pretensions and it is what i have to compare the driving experience with.

I took both my 335i sedan w/ sport suspension and my Porsche Boxster to a winding course.

First, it was amazing just how much faster the 335i was in the straight sections, and the power was really effortless. This did cause a problem though, I think with the torque it picks up too much power during really curvy one-after-the-other type curves, that are fairly sharp and you do at 30-40mph. It is a little too much power at first and you really have to keep it under control or else you will overshoot the curve.

The 335i closer to the limit on a tighter curve felt a bit softer, with a bit more body roll.

Now, the Boxster was much more suited for this turn-after-turn sort of ordeal. It is slower and has less power, but you can really pin the throttle down and still do the curve fairly smoothly, whereas the BMW would easily overshoot it if you're not careful. Boxster also had much less body roll, and felt neutral with little movement, while the BMW (as is typical of a rwd car) let the back wiggly a bit more.

I know it's funny to say this, but I felt the 335i just has too much power to be really fun in a very tight winding road situation. It blasts in the straights, but is more of handful in the curves.

So what does good handling feel like you if were you quantify it in words? Does what I said make sense knowing these 2 different cars?
rondocap is offline   Reply With Quote