View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
Joe B

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Rather than worrying about the environment, or how long the engine should run before driving off in sub-freezing weather, you should be more concerned about the fact that most of these cars are on tires that should not really be used below 40 F................
I keep hearing that, but I don't know what all the fuss is about. My Boxster came with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I bought it in November, and haven't driven in any temperatures above 40 degrees F. yet (hopefully it'll get above 40 here before the end of March ). I've used it in temps as low as 8 degrees F, on dry pavement, and the tires were fine. It's the same concept as using all-season or snow tires on snowy or icy roads. You have to use some common sense when accelerating, braking and cornering, just like you would on snow or ice, even with the best snow tires. Does that mean the tires work as well as they would above 40? No. So just slow down and enjoy your Boxster. Sorry about the thread hijack, since this was originally about warming up the engine.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote