View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
LAP1DOUG

I'm not scared of much, but Flo / Progressive Insurance scare the heck out of me. Haven't you guys seen that commercial where they want you to try this electronic nanny that plugs into your car?

A guy who works for me fell for this trap when they offered him a minor discount on insurance. He says it plugs into the OBD port, so it can collect all sorts of data about your driving habits. He tells me that it beeps at him if he brakes too hard, and he has to start slowing down earlier than normal to keep it from beeping.

He got tired of all the beeping, and pulled it out. Whereupon Flo calls him on his cell phone and wants to know why he has disabled the nanny. Under threat of insurance cancellation, he plugged it back in.

I just wonder how long we have before all of the insurance companies jump on this bandwagon. I can guarantee you they are all watching Progressive on this and running their little actuarial calculations.

I can imaging the phone call I'll get from them during a track day or autocross event...

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote