View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #46
thom4782

Let me add several thoughts to the discussion...these are my opinions based on my reading the wealth of IMSB discussions in this forum and on others. I am not a parts developer nor am I an automotive engineer.

JFP described the nature of the IMSB problem well in post #26 in the following thread: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43117-excellence-say-just-remove-ims-outer-seal.html. When the seal on the stock bearing leaks, it allows a small amount of oil into the bearing area that mixes with the grease. The oil flow into and out of the bearing area isn't sufficient to completely wash out the grease and provide lubrication and cooling to the ball bearings. When this happens, the bearings degrade and the IMSB fails. As such, removing the seal and cleaning out the grease improves the longevity of the IMSB because the splashing of oil provides enough oil to the bearing surfaces to lubricate and cool them.

The direct oil injection part that started this thread recognizes this phenomena and it does two things: it requires removal of the seal and it feeds oil directly onto the bearings. It's advantage seems to be that it puts more oil onto the bearing than provided by splash oil. How much of an advantage is unclear to me.

The LN Retrofit is an unsealed ceramic bearing. It's extended longevity over the stock bearing comes from the fact that it is splash oil lubricated and uses ceramic balls. And as others have said, the ceramics last far longer than the stock bearing.

The IMS Solution is lubricated by pressure fed oil and it eliminates the ball bearings entirely. Its big advantage at least to me is that it eliminates catostrophic engine damage if the bearing should fail.

If I had to guess which combination of product offers the best protection, my ranking from most to least is:
  1. IMS Solution
  2. Direct Oil Injection with LN Retrofit installed
  3. To close for me to call: Direct Oil Injection with unsealed stock bearing versus LN Retrofit alone
  4. Unsealed stock bearing alone
  5. Sealed stock bearing

What do others think? Does my explaination make sense. If I'm wrong, please weigh in so others have the best information available to them as they try to address their IMSB concerns.

Last edited by thom4782; 02-17-2013 at 03:52 PM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote