View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
BoxsterSteve
still plays with cars...

Garage
Shad,
It would seem that extreme conditions that don't even exist in the real world were created on purpose to torture the IMSS during testing.
By surviving such torture, the product demonstrates its robustness.
Ingenious and simple all in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Hi jake,
A few questions:

1) why would an idling engine "fry" at 5 psi and 290df?

2) Why would an idling engine have an oil temp in excess of 290df?

I understand that 5psi and 290df is sub optimal, but these parameters theoretically provide better lubrication then the engine gets for the first 10 minutes of running after start up on a cold morning.

Also, why would your bearing survive while the rest "fry"? I understand the crank is under a different load than the IMS, but the crank has more than triple the number of bearings to carry that load.

While I've never rebuilt a Pcar engine, I've rebuilt the engines of a few others, both air and water cooled. I've also spent a lot of time chasing cooling issues on air cooled engines. My experience monitoring engine parameters tells me that its that there is more to this story. I don't see why an idling engine with the cooling system functioning properly would ever see oil temps of 290. That's auto crossing on a hot day oil temp, not ticking over at 600 rpm oil temp...
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote