View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britus View Post
What surprises me is so far I have only found one used vehicle that has had an IMS solution done to it and it sold quick. I thought with some of the concerns I would find more for sale that have had the protection done.
Thanks
I'm going to say that most of these older Boxsters had their clutches replaced at the dealer. Which means most of those did not upgrade the IMSB. Maybe they put a new factory bearing in or Porsche's own 'upgraded' m97 bearing. But the service department probably didn't give them a tutorial about the issue or even mentioned it at all. They don't want to scare the owner with a low probability event. So they sell their cars without even knowing what an IMSB is.

But ignorance is no guarantee of a happy outcome. My theory is that many of these single row bearing Boxsters are on their 2nd or 3rd owners now and the mileage is starting to come onto the car at an accelerated rate. Where they were once garage queens or weekend cars only , many of these single bearing cars are now driven every day. That's going to shake out the bad apples at a signficantly higher rate going forward. Even just in this forum I'm noticing a lot more traffic than in years past as pre-owned Boxsters dip well below the $20K mark which I'm sure prompt 1st owners to unload the cars rather than watching them collect dust any longer. Ditto for the 996Carreras and some 997s. Unfortunately some of these new owners are in for a big surprise that could have been prevented.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-15-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote